The CPS is the apex prosecution authority in England and Wales. It serves the following functions:
• Reviewing criminal cases brought by the police
• Determining the cases to be prosecuted
• Determining the charges to be pressed in all but minor cases
• Advising the police particularly during the early stages of investigations
• Providing support, information, and assistance to victims of a given crime and to prosecution witnesses
• Preparing for cases and presenting them in magistrate’s courts and the Crown Court.